Foundation Week 17

January 16th-18th

I had a pretty set plan on Monday as I felt time was ticking for the uni IMG_6727.JPGinterviews my first one being UAL 8th February and my online portfolio for Edinburgh was even earlier 31st January. I set about designing alteration for a Wedding dress which I bought for £1.50 which I felt well bad even changing. I looked back at my beginning research into distressing techniques as I wanted the dress to go under the wooden torso I had made to connect back to ‘Midsummers night Dream’. I had to made it look fae like so I chopped the hem up so it would look like the character had run through a forest and torn it. I also had to dye the dress to look muddy and worn. These two techniques are right up my alley, Id done a lot of distressing samples for A2 and I like getting dirty and messing around with dyes. This particular dye needed to be added to hot water and left in a giant pot for ages. I hung the dress off a pipe after also sand papering the bottom half, the dye was supposed to ek up the dress and create an ombre affect. This didn’t happen as the dress was synthetic so I had to keep going into the textiles class to add water further up the dress so the dye would move up more. The colour was also interesting more like pooh brown instead of mud brown.

IMG_6774.JPGIMG_6785.JPGIMG_6803.JPG

I didn’t leave the dress like this don’t worry, I sprayed the dye going up the dress more and added blacks and greens which made it look how it was intendedIMG_6791.JPG to in the beginning. My tutor didn’t like the ready made dress, even after I explained my reasons on how it was ‘Ordinary to Extraordinary’ and I hadn’t finished the design as a whole along side how the wood was going to match up. Instead I moved on with the wood on its own on a torso from Fine art, I did a few sketches on how id make a two piece set and at this point I was so sort for time I just went with it. I wanted to create a skirt using weaved fabrics, the whole point was every part had to be made including the structure. My friend has an all consuming love of carboard so I used her method of ripping and putting it into glue. I made a waistband doing this, it was difficult in the beginning as its nowhere near as strong as when its sets, so it kept falling off the waist. I aslo had to thread through fishing wire so it fell apart four times but I stuck with it and the IMG_6798.JPGnext day it was rock hard. I just tyed the fishing wire and even intervals on a wire frame I had made and forced some one else to wire cut as I have zero hand strength. I found felting in the textiles store cupboard along with a few other fabrics which I then weaved though the wire and then down through its self.

I’m not going to lie I didn’t really like this idea and when showing the developments compared to the finished product at my interviews I preferred where I was going working on the dress. I created a modifications page in my portfolio of what I’d do differently and it pretty much excluded this bit. I’m not blaming anyone but myself, my initial Idea of the dress wasn’t great but this was worse, I should of found the time to think of something even better.

At home I was developing ideas for the pound tees I planed to upcycle, I wanted to keep with the theme of wearable products, and yer I don’t really consider my other work daily clothes. My new challenge was up make two t-shirts into an IMG_0072.JPGExtraordinary piece, my first idea was distressing and what did you know it turned out really really bad. Fraying was out the question due to the fabric I tried distressing fabric then weaving them NOPE. Its ugly and I couldn’t be bothered continuing and layering up fabric because it would of taken an age. Instead I ignored it for a few days and went into my default and started adding pleats. I really do like this technique and its slightly different than what my A2 exam piece was which you can see here.

IMG_6866  Its a little annoying to make such large pleats and I definitely have thumbs of steel after pricking then a thousand times but its worth it for the large fill. Its a pretty basic technique but effective, to make it more interesting I wanted to cover the final product in a material like melted silicon or even yogurt so it would look solid but melting. It would be a one cover after id taken pictures with out it on, so I wouldn’t worry about using yogurt and it going bad. I think its a little weird how I want to covering ALL my art with yogurt now but I think the secret behind Art foundation is to just make you a weirder person. Unless of course you dunk things in yogurt too.

 

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s